How to pay your tuition fees
Payment to Register
To be considered a registered student you must either pay the “Minimum Payment to Register” amount that is displayed on your ACORN invoice or successfully request a tuition deferral (please refer to the section on Deferring Your Fees, below). The deadline to pay the Minimum Payment to Register amount is Friday, August 25, 2023.
The University’s Student Accounts office does not mail paper fees invoices to students. Instead, you must view your financial account information in ACORN to determine the minimum payment required to register.
You are responsible for planning sufficient time for your payment to reach the University and to be recorded in your ACORN account. The transfer of funds from major Canadian financial institutions normally takes three to five business days; the transfer of funds from Canadian credit unions takes much longer.
If you check your ACORN account, and you do not see the payment listed on "Payment Reports" under the Financial Account tab, check again in a few days. Updates are made daily.
Make sure you keep your receipt or your verification/confirmation number. It is your proof of payment and will be requested to follow up on any payment problems.
Fee Payment Options in Canada
In Person at Your Bank
- Print a copy of your ACORN invoice and take it with you to the bank. Your account number and student number (which are printed on the invoice) are needed to ensure the payment is credited to your U of T financial account.
Telephone or Online Banking
- Call your financial institution’s telephone service or log onto the online banking service and provide them with your account number and the payee name ‘University of Toronto’. Your account number is displayed on the top right-hand corner of your ACORN invoice. It consists of the first five characters of your surname (in capital letters) and 10 numbers (i.e., your student number with a lead zero, unless your student number begins with 1).
Online Credit Card Payment (with a convenience fee)
- U of T has partnered with Moneris to provide this service. Online Mastercard and Visa credit card fee payments can be made in Canadian dollars for fees displayed on the ACORN invoice. The online credit card fee payments are handled by Moneris – the University does not have access to credit card information at any point in the payment process.
- The credit card payment option includes a convenience fee, which is a fee billed by Moneris, and is non-refundable, even if you cancel your registration. This fee, charged at a rate of 2.25% of the fee payment, is billed directly by Moneris and is not remitted to the University of Toronto.
- If you plan to pay your fees using the online credit card payment method, before you begin this process, please review the Step-by-step instructions and FAQ's section on the Student Accounts website. https://studentaccount.utoronto.ca/making-payments/make-a-fee-payment-within-canada/
- Your family and friends, can convert Aeroplan Miles and TD Travel Rewards Program points into $250 worth of credits towards your fees. Visit www.higheredpoints.com/ for information about how to join, redeem loyalty points and transfer the credits to the University of Toronto.
Fee Payment Options Outside of Canada
- For information on fee payment options outside of Canada, please refer to the Student Accounts website. https://studentaccount.utoronto.ca/making-payments/make-a-fee-payment-from-outside-of-canada/
Deferring Your Fees
- If you defer your fees on the basis of OSAP (or government assistance from a province other than Ontario) you are not required to pay the “Minimum Payment to Register” amount shown on your ACORN invoice by the stated deadline. The deadline for making your fees payment is indicated in the table below.
- If you have outstanding fees from the previous session, your fees for the current session cannot be deferred.
- Students who will be receiving OSAP (or government assistance from another province) may request a tuition fee deferral as follows:
- Students Who Receive OSAP
1. Login to the ACORN.
2. Click on the “OSAP/Govt Deferral” button on the Financial Accounts page.
You will know immediately if your fee deferral request is successful or not. If it is successful, your “registration status” will change from “Invited” (invited to register) to “Registered”. You should confirm that your registration status has changed to “Registered” on ACORN and report any problems to Gustavo Luna , Registrar.
- Students Who Receive Government Assistance from a Province Other than Ontario:
All documents related to non-Ontario Government student loans must be sent to the University of Toronto’s main financial aid office for completion. Forms must be submitted through the “Out of Province Request Portal”. The link to this portal can be found on U of T’s website at https://future.utoronto.ca/finances/financial-aid/osap-and-other-government-aid/
On the portal students can:
- Submit government student funding forms that require completion by Enrolment Services
- View a request’s status
- Receive important notifications and communication updates on the requests
Late Registration Fee
Students who make the minimum payment to register after the stated deadline are subject to a late registration fee of $45 plus $6 for each day of delay.
After either paying the "Minimum Payment" to Register amount or successfully requesting a tuition deferral, the balance owing will be displayed on the top right-hand corner of your ACORN invoice.
Students have the option of paying the balance of their fees:
1) On a sessional basis (both fall and winter terms together) by the fall term fee payment deadline; OR
2) By term (separate fall and winter term payments).
2023-24 Fall/Winter Session Payment Schedule
|Type of Payment||Deadline to Pay Fees to Avoid Service Charges||Date of First Service Charge on Unpaid Fees|
|Payment deadline for unpaid FALL TERM fees for all students||September 30, 2023||October 16, 2023|
|Payment deadline for unpaid WINTER TERM fees for all students who do not have a tuition deferral based on OSAP or other government financial aid.||November 30, 2023||December 15, 2023|
|Payment deadline for unpaid WINTER TERM fees for students who have a tuition deferral based on OSAP or other government financial aid.||January 31, 2024||February 15, 2024|
The final deadline for all students to pay fees in full for the 2023-24 fall/winter session is April 30, 2024.
OSAP: Government of Ontario Requirements
As per Government of Ontario requirements affecting all OSAP recipients, your OSAP funding will be redirected from OSAP to your ACORN account to pay your fees. If your redirected OSAP funding is less than the fees you owe, you must pay the remaining balance by the deadlines indicated in the “Fall-Winter Session Payment Schedule" table above. If your redirected OSAP funding is more than the fees you owe, the applicable amount of your OSAP will be deposited into your bank account.
All outstanding balances are subject to a monthly service charge of 1.5% compounded (or 19.56% per annum).
Sanctions for Non-Payment of Fees
Students who have not paid their fees in full by the end of a program session will not receive official statements of results or transcripts, and will not be permitted to register in the next academic session until these fees are paid.
Tuition and incidental fee refunds are subject to deadlines that are earlier than the withdrawal deadline. The Refund Schedule https://studentaccount.utoronto.ca/request-a-refund/ is available on the Student Accounts website.
Income Tax Receipts
Tuition and Education Certificates (i.e., T2202A forms) are available at the end of February from ACORN. Click on “Tax Forms”, and then select “T2202A”.
Detailed fees information is available on the Student Accounts website https://studentaccount.utoronto.ca/. Contact information for fees related queries can be found on the Student Accounts website https://studentaccount.utoronto.ca/contact-us/