Admission Requirements for the PharmD program:
Pharmacists serve an important role in each community across Canada, as key professionals within the healthcare system. To be successful in this multifaceted role, individuals must be effective communicators, collaborative, empathetic and possess strong problem-solving skills.
For admission in September 2022 applicants to the Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) program are considered based on three key factors:
- Academic Performance;
- CASPer (Computer-Based Assessment for Sampling Personal Characteristics) test score, and;
- an online admissions interview.
- Applicants must successfully complete a minimum of 1.5 FCEs (full-credit equivalents)* in Chemistry, 1.0 FCE in Biology, 1.0 FCE in Mathematics (including 0.5 in Calculus) and 1.0 FCE in Humanities/Social Science at the university level, by the end of April of the year for which application has been made**.
- Applicants must have successfully completed a total of at least 8.0 FCEs at the university level by the end of April of the year for which application has been made.
- Applicants must achieve a cumulative university average of no less than 70% (equivalent to a ‘B-’ at the University of Toronto).
*(FCE = Full-credit equivalent. 1.0 FCE= 2 terms or semesters, 0.5 FCE = 1 term or semester)
**Refer to important details including restrictions on acceptable courses in the ‘Academic Requirements’ and ‘Handbook’ sections.
CASPer (Computer-Based Assessment for Sampling Personal Characteristics)
All applicants must complete the CASPer Test, an online situational-judgement test used to assess non-cognitive skills and interpersonal characteristics. This test is administered online, and may be completed anywhere you have a reliable internet connection. You may refer to www.takealtus.com for details, practice test and test dates. Note that the final acceptable test date occurs January 5, 2022. Applicants are encouraged to review details and consider taking the practice test.
Minimum thresholds in academic performance and CASPer scores will be set to determine interview candidates. Applicants who meet minimum required thresholds in the academic requirements, and in the CASPer Test, will be invited to participate in an online interview, which will be facilitated through a video-enabled interviewing platform. A maximum of approximately 600 candidates will be invited to participate in the online admission interviews. Each selected applicant must participate in the admission interview process to remain eligible for further admissions consideration. For admission in September 2022 the online interview will be offered only on Friday, March 25, 2022 (the specific time will be announced 4-6 weeks prior). No additional or alternative dates or times will be offered.
- All applicants will be assessed and selected on academic criteria (as noted above) as well as performance in the CASPer Test. It should be noted that although 70% is the minimum published average, this is used as a ‘screen out’: meaning that no applicants below 70% will be considered, however those at or above 70% are not automatically considered. The minimum ‘threshold’ to proceed to the online interview stage may be higher than 70% depending on the performance of all of the applicants in any given year. Eligible applicants, who meet the required threshold in the academic criteria, and in the CASPer Test, will proceed to the online interview where a minimum threshold performance (score) must also be met.
- A sufficient number of offers of admission will be made in June to the top candidates to fill a class of approximately 240, while some remaining qualified candidates may be placed on a waiting list.
- International students who meet the published requirements and are competitive within the applicant pool will be considered for admission; however, the class of approximately 240 will be comprised mainly of domestic students (Canadian citizens and permanent residents).
- Visit the Application Process & Timelines section of our website for important dates and deadlines. The final application deadline is January 3, 2022 for admission in September 2022