To PharmD and PharmD for Pharmacists Students
With the increasing number of countries affected by COVID-19, the Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy at the University of Toronto is adopting the following procedure changes for outgoing learners participating in an international placement:
- Effective immediately the Faculty will be cancelling all university-sanctioned incoming and outgoing international scheduled exchange rotations starting in Blocks 1-3 of the 2020-2021 APPE Experiential Year. If you are one of the students impacted by this change, please note that the Office of Experiential Education (OEE) will be reaching out individually to students to begin making alternative arrangements.
- For all students scheduled for outgoing international placements taking place during Blocks 4-10 in 2020-2021, please note that we will continue to reassess the situation on a monthly basis and will provide updates as early as possible. We advise that you do not make any international travel plans until further notice, or if making plans please book options that are refundable.
NOTE: the Faculty does not have any scheduled incoming or outgoing rotations planned for the remainder of the 2019/2020 year (Block 10).
For all pharmacy learners planning to travel outside of Canada for professional, educational or personal reasons, you should be aware of the following:
- All University of Toronto Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy learners currently on international travel, either professional, educational or personal, will be asked to complete a screening process for travel and symptom history upon arrival in Canada. Those who are symptomatic will be advised to follow the Toronto Public Health guidelines.
- For students who have recently travelled internationally and have an upcoming scheduled rotation with any of our experiential sites, please be aware that you may not be allowed to go directly to the site or attend your rotation for at least two weeks (14 days) after returning to Canada. In addition, you will be required to undergo a screening process at your site prior to starting your rotation. In these cases, the Faculty will make every effort to reschedule your rotation or provide additional options to accommodate your training.
Given that global information regarding COVID-19 is changing rapidly, learners who have travelled outside Canada may be quarantined and unable to participate in their rotations for 14 days, which could lead to lost educational time that must be made up at a future date. Learners who are quarantined will be encouraged to explore remote attendance at academic or group activities with the relevant program lead.
Please consider the impact of non-essential travel outside of Canada. During this time of heightened concern, the Faculty will do its utmost to support U of T learners and continue educational programs as best as possible while fulfilling our obligation to wisely practice in public health and safety.
For questions, please contact:
Marvin James, Director Office of Experiential Education at firstname.lastname@example.org
For further resources:
- Government of Canada Travel Advice (COVID-19)
- Ontario Ministry of Health
- Toronto Public Health
- Peel Public Health
- Public Health Ontario
- Public Health Agency of Canada
- World Health Organization
Director, Office of Experiential Education
Sandra Bjelajac Mejia
Interim Director, Professional Programs